Cowboy Beef Stew
Author: SunFed Ranch
- 2-1/2 pounds grass fed beef Stew Meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (12 to 14 ounces) dried bean soup mix with seasoning packet (not quick cooking)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 3 cups frozen diced or hash-brown potatoes (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Soak beans in water overnight in refrigerator according to package directions. Reserve seasoning packet.
- Coat beef with seasoning from reserved packet. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown ⅓ of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat twice with remaining oil and beef, adding additional oil as needed.
- Pour off drippings; return beef to stockpot. Drain beans; discard water. Add beans, tomatoes and beef broth to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours, or until beef is fork tender.
- Stir in potatoes, if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Recipe adapted from information provided by The Beef Checkoff Program.